New version, draft-faltstrom-idnabis-tables-02.txt, available

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Thu Jun 14 11:42:18 CEST 2007

Gervase Markham wrote:
> Harald Alvestrand wrote:
>> Can you recommend specific scripts that you think should have the
>> "Stable" status?
>
> No; it's not my area of expertise. I comment merely as an implementor,
> for whom the current list looks concerning.
>
>> The fact that the CJK scripts are in MAYBE YES is probably the
>> biggest contributor to the sheer number of characters there. But I
>> have no idea whether there are known issues with them that should be
>> solved first.
>
> Forgive my ignorance, but isn't this what RFC 3743 addresses?
The JET guidelines actually give some reasonably powerful tools for
specifying which characters a particular registry wants to permit in
domain names it registers, with the possibility to specify some (but not
all) language-specific constraints and adaptions.
But they don't specify which characters to permit, and the specification
language used is applied at the codepoint level, not at the Unicode
property level.

So it's less helpful than one might think in this particular endeavor.

                      Harald