ASCII escapes for Unicode characters

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Fri Jan 19 16:42:46 CET 2007

Hi.

At the Apps Area meeting at the last IETF, there was a
discussion of ways of referring to or escaping a Unicode
character in an ASCII protocol or context.  I took an action to
write a short I-D that explicitly recommended the use of form
that reference Unicode code points directly rather than, e.g.,
encoding the octets of UTF-8.

Because people on these two lists are deeply involved with
internationalization issues, it seemed desirable to call your
attention to this draft.  Those on the EAI list should also note
its small interaction with the DSN draft.

The document has been posted as
draft-klensin-unicode-escapes-00.txt.  With the concurrence of
the ADs, discussion has been directed to the
discuss at apps.ietf.org list.   If you have comments, please
direct them to that list and _not_ to either of these two lists.

thanks,