SASLprep200x

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Thu Jan 11 02:38:04 CET 2007

At 01:55 07/01/11, Erik van der Poel wrote:

>There is at least one hitch. How can a user agent >implementor/implementation know which registrar a registrant used for
>a particular label in the registry?

I'm not seeing how this is relevant. Can you explain? Why would
a user agent want or need to know this? Why would a user agent
even need to know which registry made the registration, or
what exactly the characters are that it allows? If a character
isn't allowed, it will simply not get resolved, so there is
no spoofing/phishing issue.

>Another issue is the one I pointed out earlier: for true end-to-end >interoperability (from human registrant to human user), the user agent
>set must not be a subset of the registry set. (They must be the same
>set.)

No, it is okay if the user agent set is a superset of the registry
set.

> >Also, it is my understanding that a profile of stringprep does not >necessarily have to be a subset. It can also create a superset of >stringprep.

I agree.

Regards,    Martin.

#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp