email UTF-8

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Tue Dec 18 20:45:19 CET 2007

> So the email UTF-8 spec may want to specify that the domain parts must
> be FQADNs or FQUDNs. This way, we use the final (and near-final) forms
> only.

Does it matter?  The domain part has to be a valid domain name, otherwise the mail won't be delivered.  I don't think that the email spec cares much how its represented:  If the DNS system fails to resolve it, then it should be allowed, if it doesn't, then it's not a real address and delivery should fail.

Also IMO UTF-8 mail should avoid the punycode forms since it allows Unicode and the mail handler or DNS resolution can do the conversion as needed.

Shouldn't this conversation be happening on the LTRU Working Group mailing list?  IDN is only involved in that IMA uses Unicode enabled domain names.  The resolution of the domain name seems outside of the scope of IMA.

- Shawn