Standards and localization (was Dot-mapping)

YAO Jiankang yaojk at cnnic.cn
Sat Dec 8 16:40:13 CET 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "John C Klensin" <klensin at jck.com>
To: "Vint Cerf" <vint at google.com>
Cc: "Yangwoo Ko" <newcat at icu.ac.kr>; "YAO Jiankang" <yaojk at cnnic.cn>; <idna-update at alvestrand.no>; <fujiwara at jprs.co.jp>
Sent: Saturday, December 08, 2007 10:53 PM
Subject: Re: Standards and localization (was Dot-mapping)

> Vint,
>
> Sorry.  Yes, you are correct.  I changed the example a couple of
> times because I was thinking about trying to make an additional
> point, then decided against that and forgot to change the
> parsing component parts of the examples.
>
>   john
>

> --On Saturday, 08 December, 2007 09:36 -0500 Vint Cerf
> <vint at google.com> wrote:
>
>> john,
>>
>> I think there might have been an error in your example.
>> I would have thought that the non-IDNA browser which thinks
>> "." is the separator and does not know that "?" is intended
>> to be a separator would parse the underlined string below
>> into:
>>
>> "www" "xn--0xaat?example" and "com"
>>
>> your point is still correctly made - just the parsing looked
>> wrong.
>>
>> vint
>>

>> On Dec 8, 2007, at 8:15 AM, John C Klensin wrote:
>>

>>>   http://www.xn--0xaat?example.com/
>>>
>>> I copy that out and paste it into my browser, which we are
>>> still assuming is not IDNA-aware.

Dear John,

     Thans a lot for your good example.
     At first, we must be sure that the domain "xn--0xaat?example.com" is a IDN since it includes the non-ascii character.

    at second ,

     RFC3490 said  " Whenever a domain name is put into an IDN-unaware domain name slot
      (see section 2), it MUST contain only ASCII characters. "
       Your browser in your example is an IDN-unaware domain name slot.
      "I copy that out and paste it into my browser"  is trying to put the IDN into an IDN-unaware domain name slot.
      This is not allowed by RFC3490.
     So you can not do so by puting IDN into an IDN-unaware domain name slot.
     It violates the requirment of RFC3490.

    if you put IDN into an IDN-unaware domain name slot, I am sure that it will cause some problems.

thanks.
YAO Jiankang
CNNIC

>>>Because the browser is not
>>> IDNA-aware, the domain name is parsed into
>>>
>>>    "www?xn--0xaat", "example" and "com"

 if you put IDN into an IDN-unaware domain name slot, you violate the RFC3490. so you can not do so.