Update on review of proposed IDN changes

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Sat Oct 14 00:42:30 CEST 2006

Hi.

On the 4th and 5th of October, we sent you a pair of documents
and a cover note, constituting the first stage of generating
proposals to update and improve the collection of documents
that make up the IDNA.  Our hope and expectation had been to
complete the third document in the set (the tables of proposed
characters for inclusion and associated notes), get your
comments, recirculate updated versions to a somewhat larger
private review list, make changes prompted by that review, and
then post everything as Internet-Drafts for broader discussion.

We were too optimistic.  We have gotten only two sets of
comments from the initial distribution although both have
proven helpful in clarifying the documents.  As many of you
know, there is a firm deadline next Monday morning (US time)
for submitting Internet-Drafts for posting prior to the IETF
meeting that starts on November 5: new documents submitted
after that date will not be posted until the 6th at the
earliest.  After some discussion, we have decided to revise the
documents and post them on that schedule, with appropriate
disclaimers about how preliminary this work is.

We would still welcome your comments, either in response to the
private distribution or more generally.  We will try to
consider any comments received within the next 24 hours for
inclusion in the posted versions of the documents, but, even if
something misses that deadline, we assume that these will be
the only the first of several iterations.

thanks and apologies for any confusion.