The lookalike problem(s)

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Mon Nov 27 13:11:13 CET 2006

Use of the term "language" in connection with IDNs contributes to the
expectations that many people have of the IDN capability that may prove
possible to implement. We need to remind ourselves and others that IDNs are
not really language in the richest sense. I think we may not have explored
how to express "safe" and "safe enough" in specific terms for the characters
to be included in IDNs. We may need to balance safety against liguistic
expectation or demand (0/O, 1/I in the case of Latin characters might be an
example of risk that has been implicitly accepted).

Vinton G Cerf
Chief Internet Evangelist
Google
Regus Suite 384