UTC Agenda Item: IDNA proposal

Marcos Sanz/Denic sanz at denic.de
Fri Nov 24 15:36:38 CET 2006

Harald,

> > Are the Greek letters looking simmilar to the Latin letters going to
be
> > banned from the standard next?
> > Sorry, but this reasoning is ludicrous. What is the problem you are
> > trying to solve?
>
> Engineering, also called "finding the point of equitably distributed
pain".

"Engineering" is certainly not the problem you are trying to solve, is it?
:-)

> Greek lookalikes can be partially solved by a "don't change scripts in
> mid-label" rule.

If I understand you right, this is a rule that could be implemented by a
domain registry, and which is left to its discretion. This is something
completely sound and which I fully support.

Accordingly then, the decision whether IPAs should be mixed with other
(latin) characters/blocks should be left to the registry, too, and not
being dealt with at the protocol level.

Best regards
Marcos