UTC Agenda Item: IDNA proposal

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Fri Nov 24 10:44:55 CET 2006

--On 24. november 2006 09:33 +0000 Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com>
wrote:

> At 09:20 +0530 2006-11-24, Patrik Fältström wrote:
>
>> I got a (private) request to remove all IPA
>> codepoints, where IPA is based on the BLOCK (not
>> SCRIPT), that is correct.
>
> That is by no means appropriate. You immediately render IDN unavailable
> to Azerbaijan, for instance.

For the edification of us who know less - can you please name the codepoint
in question, and what role it plays in the script?

>>> (I have not been able to follow all of the discussions.)

>>> Why? What does this mean and what are the implications?
>>
>> Because of the content of that script. For example
>>
>> U+0300 COMBINING GRAVE ACCENT
>>
>> See script "inherited" in the table.
>
> Um. You're banning all independently combining characters? Then you
> immediately render IDN unavailable to millions of Africans.
>
> Is this really what you are doing?

Same question as above.

We're pretty sure COMBINING LEFT RIGHT ARROW ABOVE (U+20E1) doesn't make
sense to allow in IDNs, I think. If we can't dump the whole "inherited"
script, we'll have to figure out some other distinction that we can
leverage; the first thing that needs doing is to figure out which codepoint
we think needs allowing.

               Harald