Mixing scripts (Re: Unicode versions (Re: Criteriaforexceptional characters))

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Tue Dec 26 04:29:24 CET 2006

At 00:43 06/12/25, Soobok Lee wrote:

>You need not go so far.
>Even Hangul Jamo vowel EU  look alike  CJK TC One.
>Both look like long hyphen, and both are in KSC5601.
>Even in this case, they should be allowed  in IDNA in principle, but
>had better be displayed in punycode form, since it is not safe.

My personal preference would be to disallow single jamo
(or maybe even all jamo; they are not needed unless you
want domain names for single jamos, or if you want domain
names with historic hangul, both of which doesn't make
much sense for me).

>As you pointed out,  KSC5601 includes Greek/Cyrillic characters
>but, as ***special character*** sections (not as main scripts)  and
>so, it is true that greek+cyrillic mixture have users demand
>due to KSC5601 under my previous suggestion.
>I think special characters in local charset should be excluded in
>this context.

How is anybody going to decide which characters in which local
charsets are 'special'? I haven't read KSC5601, but I'm assuming
it doesn't mark characters as 'special' or 'normal'.

Regards,     Martin.

#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp