Moving Right Along on the Inclusions Table...

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Sun Dec 24 17:44:55 CET 2006

--On Sunday, 24 December, 2006 18:40 +0900 Martin Duerst
<duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:

> At 04:45 06/12/22, Kenneth Whistler wrote:
>> Cary noted:
>
>>> The essence of the argument about internationalizing the H
>>> in LDH is
>>
>> In my opinion, "internationalizing" any syntactic element of
>> a formally-based syntax is simply a bad idea, period.
>
> I pretty much agree. But please note that the hyphen is NOT
> a syntactic element, in any uses we are looking at.
> It's the only non-alpha, non-digit, non-syntactic
> character in ASCII domain names.

It doesn't impact IDNs, but, when we start to look at IRIs and
other pieces of syntax, the use of hyphen as a canonical
separation marker in XML-based media types, language names, and
other things that are expected to be parsed internally do bring
it fairly close to being a syntactic protocol element.

To the extent to which any of this discussion impacts
stringprep, the interactions between stringprep and non-IDN
protocols implies that we need to tread _very_ carefully.