Leaving out scripts (Re: Unicode versions (Re: Criteria forexceptional characters))

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Sun Dec 24 10:27:50 CET 2006

At 16:26 06/12/22, Erik van der Poel wrote:
>That's an interesting one. I tried it in both Firefox and IE, and both
>went to Amazon (and failed). I believe the rules say that you parse
>from the double-slash until the single-slash or the end of the URL to
>get the network location, which includes user:password at host:port, but
>http does not officially include the user:password (though some user
>agents support it).

Well, the rules in RFC 3986 (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3986.txt)
say that userinfo (which includes passwords, although they are
deprecated (see Section 3.2.1), host, and port cannot include
any slashes (unless percent-escaped, in which case they don't hurt).

>Or were you referring to non-ASCII slash look-alikes? I believe Mark
>was talking about pure ASCII.

Yes. In that case, I agree with Erik that Patrick's example
isn't a problem at all.

Regards,    Martin.

#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp