Mixing scripts (Re: Unicode versions (Re: Criteria for exceptional characters))

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Fri Dec 22 20:09:28 CET 2006

Michael Everson wrote:
> So, what protection may I expect to have against "evertype" being
> spoofed by someone who mixes Latin and Cyrillic? None?

You don't own the word "evertype" worldwide, of course.

You do own "evertype.com"; as for what protection you have against that
being spoofed, you need to ask the company running the .com registry. As
I understand it, the current answer is "none whatsoever". You can take a
small amount of comfort from the fact that if your customers are using
Firefox, they can't be fooled. (And probably not IE 7 either, for
different reasons.) But that doesn't help for other software.

If this concerns you, you may wish to either try and register all
confusables of evertype.com yourself, or move to a TLD which has
sensible anti-spoofing rules.

Gerv

(I again repeat my willingness to hear from Verisign about their
anti-spoofing policy, and enable .com for IDN in Firefox.)