Mixing scripts (Re: Unicode versions (Re: Criteria for exceptional characters))

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Fri Dec 22 20:02:03 CET 2006

Marcos Sanz/Denic wrote:
> Gerv,

>>> Another reason I could think of for a registry to permit wild
> combinations
>>> of characters in a name is that it could well be that it's _not_
> _their_
>>> _task_ to decide which names are registrable or not.
>> I assume you are speaking for yourself and not for DENIC?
>
> If I'd say "the sky is blue", would you ask me if I am speaking for myself
> or for my company? I am just stating a fact.

"It is not the registry's task to decide what names are registrable or
not" is absolutely not a "fact". It's an opinion.

>> From http://www.denic.de/en/richtlinien.html:
>
> That has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion.

It has everything to do with your assertion that registries shouldn't
determine what names are registrable or not, because it's an example of
the registry you work for determining what names are registrable or not.
It forbids registration of names which are like car number plates, for
example. Presumably this is not for a technical reason?

Gerv