Leaving out scripts (Re: Unicode versions (Re: Criteria for exceptional characters))

Erik van der Poel erikv at google.com
Thu Dec 21 17:31:12 CET 2006

I already mentioned the Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics character that
looks like a slash followed by a backslash, and then Ken mentioned
several other letters that look vaguely like that.

These may not be very convincing to _you_, but please consider that
some of the users that are only now coming online are rather
unfamiliar with computers and all of the cryptic strings like
"http://". Such users might be confused by _any_ character that looks
like it might possibly be the end of a domain name. That's why I
brought up the issue of the Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics.

The idea to display the domain name separately in the lower right
corner in Firefox is great; I assume we have you to thank for that.
I'd say the next step is to somehow get the user to focus on the
right-hand side of the domain name, even if they are used to reading
text from left to right.

Erik