Mixing scripts (Unicode versions (Criteria for exceptional characters))

Cary Karp ck at nic.museum
Thu Dec 21 15:07:59 CET 2006

> The only reason I can think of for allowing the mixing of Latin,
> Cyrillic, and Greek letters is to allow registrars and/or registries
> make bucketloads of money on such mixed labels.

The only reason I can think of for anyone harboring the belief that
registries and registrars would actively prefer maintaining this
situation, is the failure to appreciate that there are ever so many more
bucketloads of money to be made from an internationalized namespace that
functions as originally envisioned.

If we can't make that happen, then I suppose anything will be fair game,
including the lucrative market that can be established to serve a user
community which has been desensitized to the display of raw Punycode.
We've already got a pretty good sense of the scope of the market
potential for xn--payload labels, and I suspect we're not far from
discovering Unicode/Punycode pairs that could credibly be brandable in
both forms.

/Cary