Unicode versions (Re: Criteria for exceptional characters)

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Tue Dec 19 10:25:03 CET 2006

Mark Davis wrote:

>     If that is accepted as the problem definition, it is reasonable to
>     assume
>     that a solution does NOT lock us again into a fixed set of
>     scripts, but
>     rather allows scripts to be added in an incremental fashion.
>     And if that is accepted, the option of disallowing a script "until
>     we have
>     sorted out the identified issues" becomes far less of an issue
>     than it
>     seems to be regarded by Mark/Ken/Michel today
>     (apologies if I have mischaracterized a position here).
>

> I think the "until we have sorted out the identified issues" is too
> vague to be a useful criterion. There is general consensus that there
> isn't any problem with leaving out the historic scripts (although, as
> I said, frankly it doesn't buy much in terms of reducing spoofing).
> But which other scripts did you have in mind omitting, and on what
> grounds?
Many, including Arabic, Sanskrit and Dhivehi. Possibly Hebrew too. But
"leaving out" may be an underspecified term here - see next comment.

> There is also a big difference between the flexibility in the protocol
> vs that available to registries and user-agents. Suppose that in the
> protocol we allow Hebrew, but recommend against (for some reason)
> final forms of letters. Registries and user-agents can then start by
> following those recommendations, but if it turns out to be necessary
> to allow them in (either fully or in limited circumstances), it is
> relatively easy for them to do so. Baking a prohibition against
> final-forms of letters into the protocol is a much different matter --
> it takes quite a while for everyone to update to a new version. (And
> during that time, I have no doubt that we will hear charges of
> discrimination...)

You may want to review draft-klensin-idnabis-issues again, and see at
which steps of the protocol we are thinking of switching to an
inclusion-based model that starts off with a sharply limited set.

I think we are best served if we install the maximum amount of
restrictions initially in section 2.1.3 "Registration of IDNs -
Permitted Character Identification" (and therefore also in section
2.1.5), while we should install a minmum set of restrictions in section
2.2.3 "Domain Name Resolution - Pre-Nameprep Validation and Character
List Testing".

>     I think.
>

> Since you didn't comment on any of the other issues I wrote, does that
> mean that you agree with them, or that you just hadn't gotten to them.
> ;-)
It meant that I regarded them as irrelevant until we get this one
settled, I think.