bidi control chars (RLE/LRE ... PDF) mapping out

Soobok Lee lsb at lsb.org
Sat Dec 16 07:20:03 CET 2006

This is the explanation for example section.

On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 02:31:23PM +0900, Soobok Lee wrote:

>       eg1)
>         (network order)
>            "FULLNAME" <LOCAL at DOMAIN.TLD>
>
>         (display order : distorted)
>            "DLT.NIAMOD at LACOL> "EMANLLUF>      <=== SEE THIS!

visually first > is  really "<" , just displayed flipped-horizentally
by bidi rendering. this is very interesting rendering behavior and
applied to all braces/brackets/parentheses buried in RtoL direction.

> 	eg2) workaround with RLE ... PDF
>         (storage order after inserting RLE ... PDF)
>            "<RLE>FULLNAME<PDF>" <<RLE>LOCAL at DOMAIN.TLD<PDF>>

I missed this in my example)
          (display order after)
             "<DLT.NIAMOD at LACOL> "EMANLLUF

first " is still stuck at the leftmost.
so inside RLE...PDF seems bad.

>         (storage order after inserting RLE ... PDF outside)
>            <RLE>"FULLNAME"<PDF> <RLE><LOCAL at DOMAIN.TLD><PDF>
>
>         (display order after)
>            <DLT.NIAMOD at LACOL> "EMANLLUF"

with RLE, two have different looks. The latter form is good.

> 	eg3) workaround with LRE ... PDF
>         (storage order after inserting LRE ... PDF)
>            "<LRE>FULLNAME<PDF>" <<LRE>LOCAL at DOMAIN.TLD<PDF>>

I missed this in my example)
          (display order after)
             "EMANLLUF" <DLT.NIAMOD at LACOL>

>         (storage order after inserting LRE ... PDF outside)
>            <LRE>"FULLNAME"<PDF> <LRE><LOCAL at DOMAIN.TLD><PDF>
>
>         (display order after)
>            "EMANLLUF" <DLT.NIAMOD at LACOL>

with LRE, two have the same look for inside/outside LRE...PDF.

This phrase and address display for bidi chars need  recommendations
in order to give users common and consistent display order.

I don't know which flow is better for these full bidi cases:

>            "EMANLLUF" <DLT.NIAMOD at LACOL>
>            <DLT.NIAMOD at LACOL> "EMANLLUF"

I favor  "EMANLLUF" <DLT.NIAMOD at LACOL> .
I guess similar display problem will arise in other kind of
unicode identifiers than I18n mail address(IMA).

I am never an Unicode expert, but an Unicode "student". Welcome
any correction please.

Thanks.

Soobok