What rules have been used for the current list of codepoints?

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Fri Dec 15 08:37:54 CET 2006

On 15 dec 2006, at 00.29, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

> Before we go there for a potential IDNAInclusion property,
> however, it would be best to explore the route the Mark
> is taking, and see if we can't live with the results of
> a straightforward (if somewhat complicated) derivation
> and convince ourselves that the results of that derivation
> when Unicode 5.1 and Unicode 6.0 and so on eventually are
> published, will continue to be completely appropriate for IDNA
> (and in particular StringPrep) purposes.

I agree with this, and the rest of the text you wrote.

My personal view is that this path that Mark suggests at the moment
with a somewhat complex set of rules is sort of ok, but when starting
selecting codepoints based on codepoint value, then we are in a gray
zone that make things possibly too complicated...

But, what I tried to say some days ago is that AT THE MOMENT I am
personally 100% after finding the correct rules, although complicated
set of them. A DIFFERENT question is "are these rules so complicated
that we should look for a new (binary) property?". I do not want that
discussion now. We should concentrate on the "rules". If nothing else
because I think those rules will give, if we need the new property,
good indication on what we need from this new property.

    Patrik