What rules have been used for the current list of codepoints?

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Thu Dec 14 23:49:46 CET 2006

At 23:38 +0100 2006-12-14, Patrik Fältström wrote:

>>The writing systems of the world are untidy.
>>They arose by the activity of human beings in
>>many places, with many tools, and even the
>>UCS's Latin repertoire was put together long
>>before people thought about saving space and
>>having blocks make some more sense than they
>>do. And it continues to grow, with more and
>>more characters being added for various
>>purposes.
>>
>>You can't finesse this algorithmically.
>
>I thought this was why we had classes. What
>stops us from having a new class that is
>"suitable for domain names"?

Um, "classes"? What are these? Who defines these?
Where is this registry maintained?

This sounds like a new property to me. The
appropriate body to maintain such properties is
the Unicode Consortium, in my opinion. This is
not to say anything against the IETF, just to say
that properties need to be in one basket.

>I.e. my point is that the list of rules already
>now (before we start doing individual
>inspections of code points) is quite complex.

We agree.