What rules have been used for the current list of codepoints?

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Thu Dec 14 11:24:26 CET 2006

At 05:18 -0500 2006-12-14, Vint Cerf wrote:
>I have been following along, perhaps with less understanding than many, but
>I continue to have concerns that we are not always distinguishing that which
>is needed for expressive natural language, and that which is safe, stable,
>and secure for Internet domain names.

There are characters in the IPA Extensions block which are used in
standard orthographies for natural languages. These are ordinary
letters which happen to be used in IPA transcription, which is why
they are in the IPA Extensions block. But that arrangement is
accidental. It is NOT possible to represent Azerbaijani, Skolt Sami,
or a host of African languages without characters from this block.