[R-C] Modular Congestion Control in rtcweb

Eggert, Lars lars at netapp.com
Wed Mar 28 10:33:02 CEST 2012

On Mar 28, 2012, at 9:56, Piers O'Hanlon wrote:
> It may well have been covered already but since SCTP is already proposed for data transport and it supports unreliable transport and has some support for pluggable congestion control then if one could specify RTP over SCTP which could provide another possible approach? It could also potentially simplify some aspects of inter-stream congestion control.

I think that the SCTP BSD *implementation* has pluggable congestion control (because Lawrence Stewart added that for TCP and SCTP benefits as a side effect.) I don't think the SCTP *spec* has support for pluggable congestion control. AFAIK only the DCCP spec has pluggable congestion control.

(And note that I personally have no strong feelings about SCTP vs. DCCP for rtcweb. I just want to make sure that we have all the facts when we decide.)

Lars