[R-C] MulTFRC

Michael Welzl michawe at ifi.uio.no
Wed Mar 28 01:36:49 CEST 2012

Hi,

Since the TCP equation seems to be used in several places by this
effort and there was some discussion about TFRC today, I thought I
should remind people of the existence of MulTFRC. We have made an
equation that gives you the throughput of N flows (where N can also be
0.3 or 2.9 or whatever...), and we plugged that into TFRC, leading to
what we call MulTFRC. This has been published in a SIGCOMM poster, ACM
CCR, a Ph.D. thesis, and now also in IEEE/ACM ToN. Everything about
MulTFRC is collected here:
http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~michawe/research/projects/multfrc/index.html

The draft:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-iccrg-multfrc
has been reviewed by 3 reviewers, who all gave their okay, except for
one reviewer who (quite rightfully!) insisted on us developing a fixed-
point version of the mechanism. This has turned out to be much harder
than we thought, and the draft has been dormant since. We're still on
the case, and hope to be able to update it soon.

MulTFRC doesn't make TFRC any more delay-friendly and hence probably
won't solve any of the problems that people now seems to have with
TFRC, but I felt that it could be worthwhile for this crowd to know
that this equation, and this mechanism, exist.

Cheers,
Michael