[R-C] Modular Congestion Control in rtcweb

Luca De Cicco ldecicco at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 15:44:26 CEST 2012

Dear Lars,

my replies are inline.

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 3:33 PM, Eggert, Lars <lars at netapp.com> wrote:
> On Mar 27, 2012, at 15:15, Luca De Cicco wrote:
>> For what I know, DCCP is only supported by the Linux kernel as of today.
>
> There seem to be some DCCP userspace implementations. I have no experience with any of them and so cannot comment on their quality, but they do exist:
>
> http://www.cms.livjm.ac.uk/pgnet2008/Proceeedings/Papers/2008057.pdf
> http://www.phelan-4.com/dccp-tp/tiki-index.php

Yes I'm aware of those implementations (yet I didn't tested any of them),
however I thought - maybe wrongly - Wesley was suggesting using a
kernel space implementation of DCCP to move, so to speak,  the complexity
of CC out of webrtc scope.

>> I think developing the congestion control in the userspace is still
>> a good idea to speed up deployment.
>
> True. But that's completely orthogonal to what protocol we pick.

Yep, that's true, in fact the whole purpose of making congestion control modular
in webrtc is to make webrtc oblivious to the congestion control
protocol we pick :).

Luca