[R-C] Fwd: Questions about the video rate control and QoS in webrtc

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Wed Mar 14 21:41:22 CET 2012

On 03/09/2012 06:18 PM, Randell Jesup wrote:

>>    As for the queue-length, as far as i know, there are some ISPs are
>> using policing instead of shaping, so delay-based congestion control
>> should not work.
>
> By policing you mean ?  RED?  Some other form of AQM (Active Queue
> Management)?   Jim Gettys has been taking some part in these
> discussions; he's the main crusader for rolling out AQM and limiting
> router buffer queue sizes.
i think policing (usually leaky bucket) is quite common for doing
bandwidth limiting - making sure subscribers don't exceed their
bandwidth allotment while not having to adjust the physical line speed.
(At the moment, my local fiber, with a 10 Mbit subscription, seems to be
~67 Mbits upload and 10.00 Mbits download; it's obvious which direction
has a policing mechanism applied to it....)