[R-C] Receiver-based circuit breakers (Re: I-D Action: draft-perkins-avtcore-rtp-circuit-breakers-00.txt)

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Wed Mar 7 11:30:54 CET 2012

Branching the subject line....

On 03/06/2012 11:24 PM, Colin Perkins wrote:
> On 6 Mar 2012, at 13:24, Randell Jesup wrote:

>> Great - people have been doing this forever, but totally ad-hoc (and for different reasons).
>>
>> In the past I've seen (and used) values in the 10-30 second timeframe used to drop calls with lack of connectivity, though for VoIP 30 seconds is *forever*; few people will wait that long before abandoning a phone call (more might wait that long before abandoning an online 'call', at least today).  Most uses I've seen relied on the recipient to end the call, not the sender to do so via RTCP, since most failures in mid-call are loss of connectivity in both directions.
> A receiver-based circuit-breaker should be added too, I agree.
This may be more application dependent, since a receiver that can't get
packets through to the sender is not going to be able to stop the flow.

It can take various measures to get the message through to the sender
that bad things are happening (RTCP, signalling), but these may be
dependent on *something* working.