[R-C] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-perkins-avtcore-rtp-circuit-breakers-00.txt

Varun Singh vsingh.ietf at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 14:41:17 CET 2012

Hi Randell,

Comment inline.

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 15:24, Randell Jesup <randell-ietf at jesup.org> wrote:
> On 3/6/2012 2:52 AM, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
>>
>> On 03/06/2012 12:32 AM, Colin Perkins wrote:
>>>
>>> Here's our initial attempt at a "circuit breakers" draft for RTCWeb.
>>> Comments welcome - this is very much a straw-man for discussion, rather than
>>> a final solution.
>>>
>>> Colin
>

> Great - people have been doing this forever, but totally ad-hoc (and for
> different reasons).
>
> In the past I've seen (and used) values in the 10-30 second timeframe used
> to drop calls with lack of connectivity, though for VoIP 30 seconds is
> *forever*; few people will wait that long before abandoning a phone call
> (more might wait that long before abandoning an online 'call', at least
> today).  Most uses I've seen relied on the recipient to end the call, not
> the sender to do so via RTCP, since most failures in mid-call are loss of
> connectivity in both directions.

Section 8. "Session Timeouts" is at the moment a stand alone section
and has not been integrated into the Timeout Circuit breaker (Sectio
4.2) and broadly suggests 3 options (which are similar to what you
pointed out)
1. some one will disconnect the call.
2. longer than 15 seconds because ICE suggests timeout > 15 sec.
3. wait 2 RTCP intervals after sending an SR for an RTCP RR to arrive.

Cheers,
Varun

[snipped]

--