[R-C] BoF approved

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Sat Jul 7 20:13:54 CEST 2012

On 07/07/2012 01:35 PM, Bob Briscoe wrote:
> Michael, Bill,
>
> The proposed logic for focusing on the R-T transport is that network
> fixes will only be deployed piecemeal, so some parts of the Internet
> won't have the new functions in them, therefore any fix has to be done
> in the e2e transport. This sounds logical if you don't think too hard
> about it, but...
>
> 1/ If the chosen problem to address is that TCP flow(s) are running up
> to the tail of a slow buffer and causing delays and losses that make
> simultaneous r-t delivery quality poor, then no amount of improvement
> to RTP alone will fix this. The impairment would be caused by the TCP
> traffic even if the RTP flow(s) weren't there, so adding an RTP flow
> cannot /reduce/ impairments caused by other transports (unless it
> includes a magic anti-delay-sucking nano-worm).

Bob is exactly correct: no programming around bufferbloat will work for
real time, no protocols magic will work that I can see.

Ledbat only works because you are trying to do the opposite: keep it
from interfering with TCP.  And even there, Ledbat stops working once
AQM (e.g. CoDel) keeps the delays low.   The inverse just won't work.

c.f. http://gettys.wordpress.com/2012/05/14/the-next-nightmare-is-coming/

And even a single TCP connection will do you in today.

> For instance, if we added delay sensing to the R-T transport, it will
> sense delay, back-off and TCP will just continue, while the RTP
> starves itself (cf Vegas).
>
> If TCP-induced impairment is indeed the chosen problem, then limiting
> the scope to R-T transport only will therefore achieve precisely nothing.
>
> 2/ If the chosen problem is to prevent an R-T transport doing harm to
> other elastic (TCP) traffic (or other R-T traffic for that matter),
> then focusing on RTP makes perfect sense.
>
> 3/ If problem #1 (preventing TCP harming RT) is in scope, then network
> changes are the *only* way to solve this aspect. They won't solve it
> anywhere but where they are deployed, but this is better than solution
> #1 (focus on R-T transport alone), which solves it precisely nowhere.

I think we must presume the network gets fixed. Broadband (and WiFi) are
both broken well beyond real time standards required for good audio to
be reliable.

The biggest parts of the bufferbloat problem (at least that we know
today; we may be looking for keys under the lamppost) are the two common
bottlenecks at the edge of the network.  In your house, those are your
broadband connection, and your WiFi hop (both sides of the WiFi hop;
your operating system needs to be fixed too).  Cellular wireless is
somewhat similar, but also somewhat different.

I think the right strategy for rtcweb are two fold:
    a) making sure that everything works well for real time when the
network has been fixed.
            cf.
http://gettys.wordpress.com/2012/06/26/the-internet-is-screwed-up-and-how-to-fix-it/
    b) detecting the problem, so that people know to go get it fixed,
and which hops are broken.  Preferably by pointing the finger to the
offending component, so that it gets fixed, whether your operating
system, your home router, your broadband cpe, your broadband head end.

So Bob is exactly correct on this; you can't engineer real time traffic
around bufferbloat in today's broken internet by protocol magic.  You
can, however fix the broken components (and in your home, with care, do
pretty well even today if you are clever).  cf.
http://gettys.wordpress.com/2010/12/13/mitigations-and-solutions-of-bufferbloat-in-home-routers-and-operating-systems/
And you can come help fix the problem for real, in home routers, and
elsewhere in the network.
                            - Jim