[R-C] Request for agenda time in Paris to discuss RTP congestion control proposals

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Wed Feb 29 13:19:30 CET 2012

Hello,

our transport AD, Wesley Eddy, suggested I should contact you about the
issue of getting discussion time at the Paris IETF for the problem of
congestion control for RTP-carried real-time media.

We (a small group of people working on the rtp-congestion at alvestrand.no
mailing list) have come up with a few drafts, mainly based on work done
at Global IP Sound and Google:

- draft-alvestrand-rtcweb-congetsion-01
- draft-alvestrand-rmcat-remb-00

These drafts suggest that one implement a delay-based,
recipient-measured estimation algorithm for bandwidth estimation over
RTP flows, and define a feedback message (analogous to TMMBR) for the
recipient telling the sender how much data to send at any time.

There has also been discussion on the rtcweb mailing list about the
desirable properties of such congestion control, including how it should
interact with congestion control in SCTP, which is suggested for a data
channel transport in the RTCWEB effort.

In an informal lunch meeting in Taipei, we discussed having a
three-pronged approach:

- Defining a set of best practices for what one should really not do
with RTP flows (such as saying "when packet loss exceeds some
percentage, reduce send rate significantly"); this seems like
appropriate work for AVTCORE

- Define a set of feedback messages that can be used to implement
algorithms like the one mentioned above, or others, without
standardizing the algorithm itself

- Creating a working group for publishing the ideas and pushing a long
term effort for standardizing a congestion control algorithm. A draft
charter is here: http://www.ietf.org/iesg/evaluation/rmcat-charter.txt

Due to bad planning, we did not get a BOF request in for the Paris
meeting, but would really like to have a place to have this discussion
in that timeframe; also, the ICCRG should have quite a few people whose
input we would definitely want into this discussion.

Can you consider whether or not you can offer us some time on the ICCRG
agenda for this?

                     Harald Alvestrand