[R-C] Fairness of RRTCC and TCP

Varun Singh vsingh.ietf at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 09:54:00 CEST 2012

Hi Mo,

The figure is one of 30 runs and the start times of TCP in each run
was after 30 sec (just to allow rtp to rampup). Since these are short
TCP flows, if there is available bandwidth the flow will complete
quickly (as observed by the small blip in the first 60s). The number
of TCP flows increase with time, and we don't enable all tcp flows at
once but they start as per the wait times.

IMO, the RRTCC takes some time to rampup so initially it doesn't
starve out the TCP. However, mid-simulation when each RRTCC is at
2mbps then your analysis is correct that the TCP just goes from slow
start to congestion avoidance, but as more tcp flows enter the system
they start to push back (more apparent in the 100ms scenario).

I am running some more simulations with tcp starting earlier and
observe how rrtcc competes in that scenario. I will report these in
the coming weeks.

Regards,
Varun