[R-C] Fairness of RRTCC and TCP

Varun Singh vsingh.ietf at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 00:10:40 CEST 2012

Hi Piers,

comments inline.
On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 9:14 PM, Piers O'Hanlon <p.ohanlon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Varun,
>
> This looks interesting - it would be nice to see self-fairness performance as well. What model did you use for the

The second set of experiments 2 RTP and TCP, which is not exactly
evaluating for self fairness but the last two graphs show the two RTP
flows stacked on top of one another.

> codec in ns2 (EvalVid or mpeg_traffic or other) ?

I dont use either but, I'd have to use EvalVid_RA for this because
AFAIK EvalVid does only fixed rate. On the other hand, we have an
implementation which connects ns2 to a real codec over IPC, but the
simulations take a lot of time and therefore preferred to do just
packet simulations in the first iteration.

In these simulations, I simplify and use equal sized frames instead of
a group of pictures (I would have to run more simulations to vary GoP
and measure its impact and didn't want to pick a wrong GoP for these
preliminary results).

> I (and probably others) would be interested to have access to the ns2 RRTCC implementation - would it possible to release the source code? (Though I'd be surprised if Google haven't already implemented it in ns2/3 already as well ...)

The code is currently still work in progress as I am also
experimenting with other types of congestion indicators/algorithms
(and would need some more time for cleanup) but, I have been using
http://code.google.com/p/webrtc/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk%2Fsrc%2Fmodules%2Fremote_bitrate_estimator
as a guideline for the implementation.

Regards,
Varun