[R-C] [AVTCORE] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-perkins-avtcore-rtp-circuit-breakers-00.txt

Mark Handley M.Handley at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Apr 4 03:55:57 CEST 2012

Colin, Varun,

Can you clarify how the circuit breaker mechanism would work with RFC
4585 extended feedback.  To make things concrete, I'm thinking about
the following scenario:

 - Sender is sending 2Mb/s video into a 4Mb/s DSL line.  RTT is 100ms.
 - Receiver is allowed to send up to 2.5% of this as RTCP feedback in
ACK mode, so that's 6.5 packets per RTT if I got the maths right.
 - A TCP flow slowstarts, doubles the window for the last time and
collides with the RTP flow in the wonderful way slowstart sometimes
does.  If you're unlucky, you'll get 33% packet loss for one full RTT
before TCP backs off.
 - The RTCP receiver sends 6 successive RTCP reports over one RTT
indicating 33% loss.  If doesn't really matter if ACKs or NACKs are
sent in this scenario.

The calculated TCP rate would be ~18Kb/s for those parameters, so the
circuit breaker would kick in if I understood the draft correctly
because that's more than two reporting intervals with excessively high
loss.

This is the main reason for loss event rate in the TFRC specification
- you avoid responding to such transients too strongly.

Cheers,
Mark