[R-C] [ledbat] LEDBAT vs RTCWeb

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Fri Apr 20 14:23:03 CEST 2012

On 04/20/2012 07:55 AM, Mirja Kuehlewind wrote:
> Hi Randell,
>
> I didn't follow the whole discussion but regarding LEDBAT we have a TARGET
> delay of max. 100ms. That means you can choose a smaller one. We've chosen
> 100ms as a max as there is an ITU recommendation that 150 ms delay is
> acceptable for most user voice applications and we wanted for sure stay below
> that.

100 ms + 75ms speed of light delay across the US (or equivalent across
Europe, for example) + 100ms at the receiving end....

Of course, it's even worse between continents, even without broken networks.

Not so nice....

We *have* to fix the edge.  Drop tail queues of 100ms or bigger have got
to go....

> If you choose a delay-based congestion control I don't think your problem is
> LEDBAT but standard loss-based TCP that will frequently fill up the queue
> completely.

Yup.  All it takes is one.

And once you eliminate the delays with AQM in the edge of the net, then
delay based controls immediately go back to competing.
                                - Jim