[R-C] LEDBAT - introductions?

David Ros David.Ros at telecom-bretagne.eu
Thu Apr 12 09:51:03 CEST 2012

On 12 avr. 2012, at 00:41, Piers O'Hanlon wrote:

>>> As far as I understand avoiding upset of Voip flows was explicitly
>>> something LEDBAT aimed at - it is mentioned both in the Charter and
>>> specifically in section 4.3 of the LEDBAT draft - it aims to keep below
>>> the ITU's G.114 recommendation of 150ms. There are some studies done
>>> here - where LEDBAT does allow voip flows to operate - referenced in the
>>> draft (but there is more work to be done in this area):
>>>
>>> [Sch10]    Schneider, J., Wagner, J., Winter, R., and H. Kolbe, "Out
>>>              of my Way -- Evaluating Low Extra Delay Background
>>>              Transport in an ADSL Access Network", Proceedings of  22nd
>>>              International Teletraffic Congress (ITC22), September
>>>              2010.
>>
>> This shows a VoIP flow increased 35ms for a 25ms LEDBAT.  One assumes a 100ms LEDBAT would delay VoIP >100ms, and when you count other delays you're probably already over 150ms mouth->ear even on a good, local call.
>
> Agreed 100ms is pretty tight. It seems that the focus on LEDBAT has been about testing with TCP, whilst it seems little work has been done with lower latency applications....

FWIW, the LEDBAT draft talks only (sec. 4.3) about "anecdotal evidence" about a target delay <= 100 ms (and the whole mechanism not harming VoIP flows?) "working well".

Also FWIW, I just checked very quickly the full list of papers on LEDBAT we went through when writing RFC 6297 -- in all, about a dozen documents (including the one you mentioned before) and it would seem that, save for the paper you mentioned, no one *actually* studied *explicitly* the interaction of LEDBAT with VoIP. The focus is either LEDBAT vs. TCP or LEDBAT vs. LEDBAT.

So yes, IMHO there is definitely more work to be done in this area.

Regards,

David.