[R-C] LEDBAT vs RTCWeb

Randell Jesup randell-ietf at jesup.org
Wed Apr 11 21:50:54 CEST 2012

On 4/11/2012 2:38 PM, Wesley Eddy wrote:
> On 4/11/2012 2:56 AM, Randell Jesup wrote:

>> Agreed.  I assume the LEDBAT WG did VoIP tests?  Did they measure MOS?
>> (not that it's a great measure, but it's well-known and understood). Any
>> links to results?
>

> To my knowledge, there hasn't been specific test results like
> this presented to the working group.  The working group is
> actually planning to close "real soon now", as the specification
> is on the way to the IESG and the rest of the discussion has
> really died off.

The link posted by Piers shows that a 25ms-target LEDBAT flow increased
VoIP delay by 35ms.  One should assume barring additional tests that a
100ms LEDBAT would increase VoIP delay by >100ms.  Given a 150ms window
for best quality (mouth-to-ear), you've already blown the window.  At
best you can avoid going *too* far down the slope.  Given 50-150ms of
capture, encoding, transmission, jitter buffer, decode, playback delay
for a video call, adding 100ms+ of queuing delay will put you *well*
down the curve, even with a good, local connection.

 From that data, I would not say 100ms LEDBAT is fair (as a scavenger
protocol) with classic inflexible VoIP traffic, which includes our
(rtcweb) traffic.  Unfortunately, they also mention that bittorrent's
equivalent to LEDBAT is deployed, and has 100ms as the target.

> Such tests would be interesting and useful (maybe even necessary)
> in thinking about progressing from Experimental to Standards
> Track, in my opinion.
>
> Since this will be part of the deployed base that RTCWEB is
> sharing links with, it will be good to think about in terms
> of how we evaluate candidate RTCWEB mechanisms/algorithms.

We can and should test against LEDBAT, but I think it will tell just
tell us that LEDBAT doesn't play nicely with other delay-based
algorithms, especially if they have low-delay targets.

--
Randell Jesup
randell-ietf at jesup.org