[R-C] LEDBAT vs RTCWeb

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Tue Apr 10 12:10:17 CEST 2012

Just to summarize what I currently understand about LEDBAT as compared
to the scenario that RTCWEB envisions.....

- RTCWEB assumes a set of media streams, possibly supplemented by a set
of data streams carrying data with real-time requirements. LEDBAT
assumes that there is some amount of data that needs transferring, and
that it's appropriate to delay data if congestion occurs.

- RTCWEB wants to make sure delay is low as long as it's not fighting
with TCP, and wants its "fair share" when competing with TCP. LEDBAT
wants to back off when encountering TCP, and uses low delay as a signal
of "no competition is occuring"; it doesn't care about the specific delay.

- RTCWEB's RTP streams consists of unidirectional streams with
(currently) fairly infrequent feedback messages. LEDBAT assumes an
acknowledgement stream with nearly the same packet intervals as the
forward stream.

My conclusion: When discussing behaviour of specific models, we can
learn from LEDBAT's experiences and the scenarios it was tested in, but
the design goals of LEDBAT do not resemble the design goals for
congestion control in the RTCWEB scenario, and we should not expect
specific properties of the implementation to fit.

If I'm totally off base on any of the above, please holler.....

                             Harald