[R-C] LEDBAT - introductions?

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Fri Apr 6 10:13:48 CEST 2012

On 04/06/2012 01:45 AM, Matt Mathis wrote:
> There is one especially useful design point to extract here.....
>
> I believe that by default ledbat has a 50mS set point.  That is, it
> regulates its rate/window size by sensing if the one way queue time
> seems to be above or below 50mS.
That is - 50 ms more than the baseline (lowest observed) RTT?
50 ms absolute would make no sense, since intercontinental conferencing
has a longer baseline RTT.

> Would this be acceptable for RTCweb, or would it be necessary to
> choose some other set point?
I generally don't like set-points, since they tend to make behaviour
converge on the set-point. Sliding scales like the Kalmann filter of
Stefan's proposal make more sense to me.

That said, 50 ms seems a little on the high side, given that our total
RTT budget is being attacked from all sorts of directions, but not
order-of-magnitude wrong.