[R-C] REMB message, SSRC list and DiffServ

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Wed Nov 2 16:48:36 CET 2011

On 11/01/2011 02:12 PM, Justin Uberti wrote:
> Good point. Keep in mind that even within a single source/SSRC,
> packets may be sent with different DiffServ markings (consider speech
> vs silent audio, or different temporal layers for video)
I get a headache just thinking about how to signal congestion control
for that .... especially since it's not improbable that the Diffserv
bits will be cleared by the time the packets get to the recipient, so it
might be impossible for the recipient to tell which packets experienced
what queues.

Can we add a warning to our documents saying "don't do this if you use
this type of congestion control", or do you think the practice is
widespread enough that we have to deal with it?

(if nobody's doing it, a warning might be enough to prevent anyone from
starting it.)