[RTW] [dispatch] RTCWEB I-D with thoughts on the framework

Timothy B. Terriberry tterriberry at mozilla.com
Wed Feb 23 09:03:28 CET 2011

>> * no SIP or Jingle; leave that to proprietary over websockets/HTTP

One of the issues that will have to be solved, even without SIP or
Jingle in the browser, is codec negotiation. If the webserver is using
SIP on the back-end, then it needs to know about the clients' codec
support in enough detail to enable the SIP negotiation process. Your
simple example sends no details at all about the clients' supported
codecs, which I guess means the server can only assume support for the
MTI codecs.

Maybe this is a question for the W3C, and not IETF, but I don't think
the existing canPlayType API is sufficient. It doesn't give a guarantee
more promising than "probably", and doesn't allow for negotiating
specific codec parameters (e.g., bitrate, sampling rate). For example,
even with an MTI codec like Opus, some devices with limited memory may
not support stereo. Presumably these would not be devices capable of
running a web browser, but they might be the one talking to the web
browser, and the browser needs to know not to send them stereo frames.