[RTW] Criteria for what one can do in Javascript vs what one has to do inside the browser

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Thu Feb 17 23:36:34 CET 2011

On 02/17/2011 11:20 PM, Ted Hardie wrote:
> I'm thinking of the URLAUTH mechanism described by LEMONADE:
> http://tools.ietf.org/search/rfc4467
>
> That's a limited-use proof-of-possession model for authorization, with no
> authentication implied (just as anyone in possession of a pawn ticket
> can redeem the item out of pawn).  STUN is a user-name and password
> model either long term or short term.  The short-term method can use some
> out-of-band mechanism to assign time-limited username/passwords.
The reason I think of this as a proof-of-possession mechanism is that in
the use I'm most familiar with, both the username and password are
random strings generated at the time-of-use; they are carried in fields
named "username" and "password" in SDP / Jingle, but that doesn't mean
they are tied to an user in the traditional sense - that's what makes
them "short-term".

It would be nice if the STUN spec had called the fields something
different, but that's what you get from not wanting to reinvent
protocols all the time....

                      Harald