[RTW] [dispatch] Does RTC-WEB need to pick a signaling protocol?

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 03:08:46 CET 2011

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 1:28 AM, Harald Alvestrand <harald at alvestrand.no> wrote:
> On 01/30/11 22:50, Bernard Aboba wrote:
>
> One approach is to tunnel the signaling protocol over HTTP.   This requires
> support for bi-directional communications, such as can be provided by BOSH,
> or Websockets.   In these architectures the web client communicates via HTTP
> with a “Connection Manager”  which  encapsulates/decapsulates the signaling
> messages and routes them appropriately on the backend.
>
> I think that no matter what we define (or not) as the signalling protocol,
> it will be carried in a fashion that looks like HTTP or HTTPS (most probably
> HTTPS) to intermediaries and firewalls.
> Not using WebSockets (if it's done yet) seems like a strange choice; if
> WebSockets are usable for anything, they should be usable for this
> application.

It's already possible to write a "shared video viewing" application
using Web sockets. There, the user just follows a URL to a Web page on
which the video is being shown and by following that URL they are
added to a Web socket based communication. I also believe there is a
place for Web sockets somewhere in this specification.

Cheers,
Silvia.