[RTW] Workshop report, version one

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Tue Oct 19 17:43:11 CEST 2010

On 10/19/10 00:49, Bernard Aboba wrote:
> In terms of items for further work, I believe we talked about a STUN
> API in Javascript, as well as the need for integration between
> STUN/ICE and Websockets.
>
> With respect to ICE, there was  some discussion about whether we were
> talking about ICE, ICE-lite, or ICE with HTTP/HTTPS failover.   While
> settling on the precise ICE functionality might not create an
> interoperability problem between browser A and browser B if both were
> connecting to the same service, if they were connecting to
> different services there is the potential for clients ending up with
> incompatible ICE Javascript libraries.
I think this is on the list of things that have to be worked out, I
don't think the workshop went into enough details to give an answer here.

The ICE-lite of RFC 5245 appendix A seems to be "appropriate only for
devices that will *always* be connected to the public Internet and have
a public IP address at which it can receive packets from any
correspondent" - this doesn't seem to be appropriate for a browser, so
what's embedded in the browser is certainly not going to be ICE-lite.

What do you mean when you say "ICE with HTTP/HTTPS failover"?