[RTW] Workshop report, version one

David Singer singer at apple.com
Tue Oct 19 02:25:31 CEST 2010

A number of us talked about the fact that we needed more discussion on real-time communication *on the web* i.e. what the particular challenges of implementing this in a browser or integrated into the web, are.  We sadly all know how hard the problem is in general; there are plenty of groups working on SIP, IMS, and the like, that we don't need to duplicate.

On Oct 18, 2010, at 15:49 , Bernard Aboba wrote:

> In terms of items for further work, I believe we talked about a STUN API in Javascript, as well as the need for integration between STUN/ICE and Websockets.
>
> With respect to ICE, there was  some discussion about whether we were talking about ICE, ICE-lite, or ICE with HTTP/HTTPS failover.   While settling on the precise ICE functionality might not create an interoperability problem between browser A and browser B if both were connecting to the same service, if they were connecting to different services there is the potential for clients ending up with incompatible ICE Javascript libraries.
>
> From: hta at google.com
> Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 17:12:58 +0200
> To: stefan.lk.hakansson at ericsson.com
> CC: rtc-web at alvestrand.no
> Subject: Re: [RTW] Workshop report, version one
>
> Good point! paragraph added.
>
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 16:53, Stefan Håkansson LK <stefan.lk.hakansson at ericsson.com> wrote:
> Harald,
>
> thanks for the report. I find it accurate and well balanced, but I miss one piece:
>
> There was an agreement that codec (media format) negotiation should be supported so that codecs supported by the device (maybe being HW accelerated) can be used (if both endpoints support these codecs).
>
> Maybe it should go into the codec section (or "other pieces").
>
> Stefan

David Singer