[RTW] [dispatch] Codec standardization (Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-alvestrand-dispatch-rtcweb-protocols-00)

Heinrich Sinnreich henry.sinnreich at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 03:12:37 CET 2010

>I think we should consider the balance
> between cost, risk, quality, and existing adoption, and it would be foolish to
> omit cost-bearing codecs from that analysis, as H.264 is widely used already.

I am not sure where this discussion is going, though it reminds us of the
discussions when arguing about SIP vs. H.323 in the IETF.
"Everybody" was shipping H.323 in overwhelming quantity, but somehow the
IETF did not buy it.

As an hopeless optimist; maybe H.264 will have the same fate since at least
it's considerable IP baggage is so well known...

It is hard to imagine the IETF and indeed the market will ignore the
creativity of all the codec developers out there and the evolving technology
that empowers them. Plain self interest should motivate embracing new
IP-free a/v codecs for the RTC Web. They will arrive anyway one way or
another.

[Well deployed technology has a proven way to make it over the threshold
into history :-)]

Henry