Moving the process document forward

Brian E Carpenter brc at zurich.ibm.com
Thu Sep 4 16:57:20 CEST 2003

Reading draft-ietf-problem-process-02.txt and
draft-davies-structural-rev-process-00.txt, I'm concerned that we
are falling into our own trap (i.e. over-engineering).

To me things are not so complicated. We have a list of problems
ready to publish. We have a measure of agreement that the current
leaders (IESG + IAB) ultimately have to show leadership in
implementing change to solve those problems, without fixing what
isn't broken. So we should basically send the list of problems to the
IESG and tell them to set up design teams to fix them. The
decomposition in draft-ietf-problem-process-02.txt is certainly
useful because it suggests a structure of design teams,
but I think this WG would be best advised to stop there.

   Brian