IESG proposed statement on the IETF mission

Brian E Carpenter brc at zurich.ibm.com
Thu Oct 16 08:59:23 CEST 2003

Alistair,

Actually I think it qualifies as a mistake according to the conclusions
of the IAB workshop three years ago (RFC 3002), where we clearly identified
walled gardens as a threat to the Internet as a whole. But I am not a SIP
expert so I will not say more.

I didn't mean that GSC iss a waste of time. However, there are strong limits
to what such coordination can do. Ultimately, all the standards bodies are
autonomous.

   Brian