Charters, "normal process" versus ISOC, etc. (was: Re

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wz-berlin.de
Tue May 20 17:26:23 CEST 2003

On 20 May 2003 at 9:46, Margaret Wasserman wrote:

> Do we really want an entire area run by a new, inexperienced
> IESG member?  And, does it really _decrease_ the load on the
> IESG, and Harald in particular, to add a new member to run
> this area?

In my understanding, the main reason for John's creative solution is to
achieve to goals: 1. find a _neutral_ person to lead the reform process,
preferably not being an IESG member 2. discuss and decide reform options
on the basis of established procedures.

> I'd like to try to get to the core issue that is motivating
> this (and other) alternative proposal(s) -- some people (I'm
> not sure how many) don't trust the existing IESG, and Harald
> in particular, to run this process.

Now, you make it sound as if those who prefer a newly appointed AD do
distrust Harald. This is certainly not the case as far as I am concerned. On
the contrary. My point is that the chances of success of a reform process
might decrease if the process is led by an authority structure that is obviously
part of the problem.

> I think that we need to determine where the consensus of
> the community lies on this issue.  I believe that the
> vast majority of us _do_ trust our current leadership.

Again, I don't think that personal distrust is the main issue here. It is about
creating sound preconditions for the reform process.

Jeanette