A real example, with names RE: "Adult supervision"

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Thu May 8 10:29:41 CEST 2003

the problem with two ports is that (besides wasting scarce ports),
in the case of clients that will downgrade from TLS to non-TLS
if TLS doesn't work, it's fairly easy for an active attacker
to force the downgrade, and thus, to force the conversation to
appear in cleartext.  what I was presuming is that sending a TCP
RST was easier for an attacker than say, hijacking the TLS connection
to negotiate a weak cipher.  I thought this had been written up
somewhere, but I can't remember where.  maybe on iana.org?

but I think this is a good example of something that *should* be
written up, at least on a web page.

Keith