Mentoring [Re: "Adult supervision"]

Edward Lewis edlewis at arin.net
Wed May 7 12:13:30 CEST 2003

At 8:19 -0500 5/7/03, Spencer Dawkins wrote:
>Brian/Edward,
>
>Might a problem statement for this be:
>
>- We don't have a good way to help new participants learn "things everyone
>knows". The "Tao of the IETF" is focused on work style, not technical
>principles. When we try to reveal guiding technical principles as part of
>post-WG document review, the input is a "late surprise", and the process
>does not scale.
>
>?

Yes.

What's the purpose of having an all-volunteer, enforcement-less body
but to disseminate knowledge in a non-confrontational manner?

Ten years ago the dissemination of knowledge consisted of reporting
experimental results as we were collectively learning at the same
pace.  Nowadays there is a large body of protocol development history
piling up and the lessons in there need to be passed on.  Today's
less experienced engineers are confronted by a pre-built world, are
educated in ways more varied than we were, and the educators that
they have been taught by are themselves further removed from the
those having hands-on experience.  So, now it is up to the IETF to
fill in the gaps that we didn't see 10 years ago.

I don't mean to demean any demographic, but as a population grows,
expertise in any one specific area drops - offset by an increase of
specific areas, that is.

There are a couple of other observations to make.

When it comes to "adult supervision," you have to remember that if an
adult talks to a child as if the child were an adult, the adult may
get frustrated.  If the adult doesn't adjust, the problem is the
adult.  (Frustration is an internal problem.)

Back in the day, some protocols were borne of pure principles.  Over
time, the principles were undercut, meaning that today's version of
the protocol is not the pristine example of engineering that the
pioneers intended.  New comers are studying something that has become
a "bad example."  My experience is in DNS - if it weren't for some
side discussions with pioneers, I would have never understood what
DNS is supposed to be.  Now I can see where we once went wrong with
it.  Why is this important?  Without that knowledge, extensions
become impossible to build right.

It might be that mentoring activities seem to not scale.  But the
alternative is worse - and it seems that ignorance does scale quite
well.

Teaching is not debating.