My thoughts about the problems of the IETF

Charlie Perkins charliep at IPRG.nokia.com
Thu May 1 01:14:03 CEST 2003

Hello folks,

I think that getting outside reviewers is a very helpful idea,
and I would volunteer to review drafts on a regular basis.
If the result were to speed up the promulgation of quality
specifications, that would even simplify some aspects of the
work I am to do for my employer.

I observe that this strategy, while likely to be very helpful,
has some failure modes.  But we can fix those by process and
by experience, and I think it would be better to get started
so that we can get the benefits right away and make further
process improvements sooner as needed.

Sort-of like the arguments about why we need Proposed
Standards sooner so we can make needed improvements
based on experience.

Regards,
Charlie P.